J.P. Stevens' history dates back to 1813 when Nathaniel "Captain Nat" Stevens began manufacturing woolen broadcloth in a converted stone gristmill in North Andover, Massachusetts. Right away, Stevens and his son Moses, began experimenting with wool, cotton and flannel. They created new fabrics and fashion, such as the "Arabian Suiting," a fancy pattern flannel made by blending wool and cotton. They discovered that when dyed, the wool would take on the color of the dye, while the cotton stayed white, creating a new, sought-after fabric pattern.
In the past 200 years, J.P. Stevens Home saw many changes, including several mergers and acquisitions. By the early 80’s, the company had acquired 50 diversified plants in 41 locations with corporate and field offices in New York, NY, Greenville, SC and Greensboro, NC.
J.P. Stevens had grown to become the nation's second largest publicly traded textile producer by the time it merged with WestPoint-Pepperell in 1988. The result was a name change to WestPoint-Stevens. Ironically, long after the name change, department store buyers and retail consumers still referred to the company as “Stevens”.
We've taken the new J.P. Stevens Home and applied the same sound fundamentals mandated by Captain Nathaniel Stevens back in 1813, together with combining the best parts of textile engineering, innovation, design, and exceptional quality.